Mobility is a fundamental human right. In an age where we’re more interconnected than ever before, having the ability to move freely and without restriction is paramount. For those with physical disabilities, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) offer a lifeline to the outside world. But with the cost of new vehicles often being prohibitive, many are turning towards the used market. Here are some compelling reasons to consider buying a used WAV:
1. Affordability: New WAVs can be expensive, sometimes prohibitively so. Buying a used WAV, much like purchasing a regular used vehicle, offers significant savings. This allows individuals or families on a tighter budget to access a mode of transport that suits their specific needs without breaking the bank.
2. Depreciation: Like all new vehicles, WAVs lose value the moment they leave the dealership. A new WAV can lose a large chunk of its value within the first year. Buying used means you let the first owner absorb that initial depreciation, allowing you to get a nearly-new vehicle for a fraction of the cost.
3. Range of Choices: The used market often provides a wider variety of vehicles than the current model year. This is especially beneficial for those looking for specific features or conversions. A used market might have models that are no longer in production but were known for their reliability and functionality.
4. Proven Reliability: Purchasing a used WAV often means you’re buying a vehicle with a proven track record. If a model has any recurrent issues, these would likely be documented in user reviews and forums. This enables buyers to make an informed decision based on actual user experiences.
5. Speed of Purchase: New WAV conversions can sometimes take time, especially if you’re looking for a customized setup. The used market usually has vehicles that are already converted and ready for use, allowing for a quicker transition to mobility.
6. Environmental Considerations: Buying used is a form of recycling. It ensures that the resources and energy used to create the vehicle serve a purpose for as long as possible. In doing so, you’re also reducing the demand for new vehicles, which in turn reduces the environmental impact associated with manufacturing.
7. Tried-and-Tested Conversions: Many used WAVs come with conversions that have stood the test of time. This is an advantage as you’re getting technology and modifications that have been used in real-world scenarios and have proven their worth.
8. Insurance and Other Costs: Used vehicles often come with lower insurance premiums compared to their new counterparts. Furthermore, registration fees, taxes, and other associated costs might also be lower, resulting in overall savings.
9. Dealer Incentives and Warranties: To make used WAVs more appealing, many dealers offer incentives or limited warranties. While it’s essential to read the fine print, these additional perks can provide peace of mind and added value to your purchase.
10. Immediate Availability: For those in urgent need of a WAV, the used market offers immediate availability. Instead of waiting for a new WAV to be sourced or converted, a used WAV can be viewed, tested, and purchased in a much shorter time frame.
In conclusion, while the allure of a brand-new WAV can be enticing, the used market offers numerous advantages that can’t be overlooked. From significant financial savings to immediate availability, buying a used Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle provides an affordable and efficient solution to mobility challenges. When armed with the right knowledge and a reputable dealer, you can find a used WAV that offers reliability, functionality, and value for money.