Skip to content
Home > Advantages of data backup and recovery

Advantages of data backup and recovery

Backup and recovery of data is an essential security measure for companies in today’s world. We will discuss the primary benefits in data protection and data restoration. Many hours are spent making business information and data. Financials, CRM, client and order details are vital to the daily business operation and data like intellectual property (IP) strategies and tactics for business as well as forecasting and contractual information offer crucial information about competition. Loss of data could result in the business being unable to function or spend significant time building databases by hand.

Data backup is crucial.

The importance of backups for data can’t be overestimated. In the event of a prolonged downtime, it can result in an erosion of trust, clients changing suppliers, loss of revenue, and in the worst case scenario, a bankruptcy. The loss or theft of competitive information can also destroy a business competitive advantage.

People who are who are prepared and practicing the most appropriate and effective strategies for backup and recovery can reap the following benefits:

Important files are protected

The primary purpose behind the backup of data is to help keep your most crucial information secure and to avoid a devastating and prolonged losing of information. The primary function and purpose is to safeguard the most crucial files secure to ensure that your business is functioning again after a data loss.

Peace of mind

Many business executives are concerned about their backups of data. All ‘what-ifs’ or worries can be quelled by implementing a backup and recovery strategy is put into place and test. If there is a disaster, the data recovery Cape Town plan can be implemented without worry of being unable to access the important information.


Restoring data is stress-inducing and sensitive to time. It is possible to restore data quickly even in case of loss by using a well-thought-out and tested backup and recovery strategies. This means that there’s no hesitation or concerns like ‘What should what do we now?’ because it’s just executing the strategy that was defined.

Recovery speed

In the event of data loss the speed at which data is recovered and get back to normal’ can be the difference between a successful or unsuccessful business. If the data is properly protected it is possible for important data to be recovered in a relatively short period of time. For instance, deleted emails can be restored in minutes. Depending on the storage method used to store data and size of the data, significant data as well as the main IT systems might require a couple of days or hours to restore.
Consistency of data stored

A consistent approach to backup procedures will ensure that the most important data remains secure. Any backup process that requires manual input may result in mistakes and errors made by people.

Data retention “house in order’

Data backup is a must-have hand with your retention strategy. It is important to know what the data you are most concerned about is, as well as determining which data needs to be deleted is crucial. This will help you to adhere to the GDPR regulations – eliminating information when needed – and it will also help you avoid having to buy storage space. For instance, it’s best practice to automate the deletion of emails after 7 years in order to decrease the storage requirements for files.

Selling points – establish trust with customers

Data backup strategies demonstrate an organization’s due diligence. The security risks that come with supply chains mean that potential customers are expecting high-quality handling of data and security standards in the present. It is essential that customer data is secure, and also, to keep delivering your service in the event of an incident.

A back-up supplier relationship has already been established

It is best to have a relationship established with a backup service provider, in the event that you don’t have the internal expertise or capacity. They already know your IT infrastructure as well as the location of your data as well as what the recovery strategy is, which makes the process of retrieving data much more efficient.

Take a look at the duration it takes to choose the best supplier. It can take weeks or months to assess a new IT support company and even the new vendor to know the IT infrastructure of your company. If the partnership hasn’t established prior to the incident then the look for an external provider is forced and performed in a hurry.

Auditing is a legal requirement

HMRC demands that businesses maintain financial documents for six years or more under certain situations. If there is an event that causes a catastrophe and crucial data disappearing forever it could be a matter of fines in the event that you are unable to provide the right documents. HM Revenue will not be at ease with the fact that you’ve lost vital data.

Competitive advantage

Many businesses fail to prepare and test their recovery strategies. If there is an overwhelming disaster like an attack on supply chain networks companies that have plans for disaster recovery will be able to survive and prosper. The first business in your industry which is ‘back in business’ can steal customers from the ones that are recovering.

Audit trail to identify the insider threat

If an employee deliberately deletes files, they could be quickly recovered using data backup. Emails are typically deleted to hide tracks and disgruntled employees may delete important documents. Data backup and recovery allow businesses to safeguard themselves against insider threats or employee-related misdeeds.

Reduce downtime cost

Are you aware of the amount time lost to your company is a cost? If an event occurs having a backup plan set up to swiftly restore the operation will drastically reduce the cost of downtime. Loss of revenue and loss of productivity of users can cost small businesses thousands of dollars every hour. We’ve seen it often that companies with backups of their data and recovery usually are up and running immediately, whereas those without backup and recovery can require months to get back up and running.

Rate of survival

According to an Gartner study, companies that do not have an emergency plan for backup and recovery have a mere 6percent chance of survival in the event of an event. 94 percent of businesses did not operate for two years following a catastrophe. Here are a few reasons:

Without backups and recovery of data it could take months for it to be operational
Clients are disappointed, and they leave
The employees may search for work in other places, especially if their salaries aren’t being paid.
If the reputation of the company is damaged, it is harder to find new customers.

A good security practice

A backup of your data is a good security practice. Data backup and recovery plan can increase the chances of survival for businesses and will last.